Did you know that VCO is good for dogs? Are you considering giving your German Shepherd Virgin Coconut Oil?
Virgin Coconut Oil has a lot of benefits for humans and believe it or not, it has lots of health benefits for dogs too. VCO can help aid your German Shepherd’s digestion, prevent infections, keep his coat shinier, and more. It contains antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties that can help keep dogs away from diseases.
Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil for German Shepherds
Virgin Coconut Oil has a lot of benefits for your German Shepherd’s skin. Whether taken orally or applied on the coat, VCO can help your German Shepherd’s skin in the following ways:
- Helps in healing and cleaning up skin problems such as canine dermatitis, flea bite allergies, itchy skin and eczema,
- Improves skin health,
- Aids in preventing external parasites such as mites, fleas, and ticks,
- Reduces the chance of developing allergic reactions,
- Helps keep the coat glossy, sleek, and shiny,
- Soothes itchiness,
- Heals dry skin and calluses,
- Helps lessen ‘dog smell’,
- Helps disinfect and promote healing of bites, wounds, and insect stings,
- Helps prevent and treat yeast and fungal infections.
Not only is VCO safe for consumption, it can also help improve the health of your German Shepherd’s digestive system. VCO can help your German Shepherd in the following ways:
- Improves absorption of nutrients,
- Improves digestion,
- Helps reduce bad breath,
- Aids in healing digestive issues like colitis and inflammatory bowel syndrome,
- Helps in repelling intestinal parasites, and more.
Virgin Coconut Oil contains powerful anti-oxidants, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that can help prevent and fight diseases. It also helps your German Shepherd’s body systems to function more effectively. VCO can help your German Shepherd’s body in the following ways:
- Reduce cancer risk,
- Helps in regulating insulin and promote or control diabetes,
- Promotes normal thyroid function,
- Boosts immune system,
- Increases energy,
- Can help in weigh management,
- Helps build strong bones,
- Can help ease arthritis pain,
Brain, Nerves, Eyes, Mouth, and Ears
Virgin Coconut Oilcan also help your German Shepherd in the following ways:
- Improves oral and dental health,
- Promotes good brain and nerve function,
- Helps clear up eye and ear infections, and more.
How Does VCO Work and Help Dogs?
With all the benefits VCO has for dogs, you may be wondering what’s in it that makes it so healthy. Well, Virgin Coconut Oil has more than 90% saturated fats and they are composed of triglycerides. Virgin CoconutOil is mostly composed of Medium Chain Triglycerides. Triglycerides consist fatty acidsand VCOis 64% Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs).
To break it down, the Medium Chain Fatty Acids found in coconut oil contains:
- 48% lauric acid,
- 8% caprylic acid,
- 7% capric acid,
- 6% oleic acid,
- 2% linoleic acid,
- and myristic and palmitic acids.
The health benefits both humans and dogs get from coconut oil are mostly from these MFCAs, especially lauric acid, which contains antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. Capric and caprylic acid are also known to have antifungal properties.
It also helps that the body systems of dogs and humans are able to metabolize MCFAs easily and efficiently – making Virgin Coconut Oil an instant energy source. The MCFAs is also known to be effective in balancing the thyroid in dogs. This helps overweight dogs become more active and eventually lose weight.
Ways to Give Your German Shepherd VCO
So, you’ve decided to give your German Shepherd VCO. But how do you do it? Virgin Coconut Oil can be given as a daily supplement. You can give your German Shepherd as much as 1 tsp per 10 lbs of his body weight and mix it with food. It is a good idea to start with small amounts first before gradually increasing it to the 1 tsp per 10 lbs amount to prevent your GS from having loose stool. You may also choose to give your German Shepherd Virgin Coconut Oil every other day and give him Omega-3 fish oil on the other days.
Used as topical, Virgin Coconut Oil can prevent your German Shepherd from getting infested with external parasites such as fleas, ticks, and mange. Applying it on the skin also helps speed up healing of wounds and hotspots.